How do I stay healthy? By making what I call... Karl's Butch Veggie Sandwich.
Where did that sound come from? Anyway, as I was saying...
Strap on a tight pair of Levis and lace up your work boots. This veggie sandwich is gonna put a little hair on your chest.
(Or, at the very least, it'll clear up your sinuses.)
For this Butch Veggie Sandwich [RAWR!] you are going to need...
* Two slices of your favorite brand of Wheat Bread. The fresher the better! (Splurging on some good artisan wheat bread if you can find it is a big plus.)
* Two or three Banana Pepper Rings
* One thin slice of Red Onion
* One or Two thin slices of Tomato
* One or Two thin slices of Cucumber
* A "generous pinch" of Alfalfa Sprouts
* One or two leaves of Boston Lettuce or Red Lettuce (any kind of lettuce is fine actually)
* One Tablespoon of Hummus (store bought is ok but the good stuff can be ordered take out at Aladdin's Eatery in Lincoln Park)
* One Teaspoon of Trader Joe's WASABI Mayonnaise
(1 Tablespoon = 3 Teaspoons)
1. Take one slice of bread and schmear on the hummus. Place that down hummus side up.
2. Top that with the lettuce (you might need to fold the lettuce under to make it fit on the bread), the Red Onion, the Tomato slices, the Cucumber slices, the "generous pinch" of Alfalfa Sprouts, and the Banana Pepper Rings in that order.
3. Take the second slice and schmear on the Trader Joe's WASABI Mayo. Place that slice mayo side down on the rest of the sandwich. Take a knife and cut diagnally.
Note: You need to really stick to one teaspoon for the mayo here. With the mayo, the hummus, and the bread, we're at hovering at a fairly low 5.5 grams of fat.
Plus, any more wasabi mayo and you are liable to NAPALM your nasal passages.
For boys who just gotta have their meat, try this variation on a theme: Throw in a slice of turkey meat from the deli. Still low in fat and healthy and adds some protein!
If you managed to work up a tear or two, you just might not be butch enough for Karl's Butch Veggie Sandwich. [RAWR!]
But who needs to be butch? Just be hungry...and healthy!
-- Karl Kimpo
Join in the conversation.
Tell us HERE. Send a pic to the same place.
And we'll blog it, right here.
Read past posts.
Learn more about the campaign.